Shaenas Blog

Monday, December 05, 2005

My thoughts on Chrismas, Thanksgiving, ... and a challange!

Ok, so I'm super oppinonated today... I'm not sure which category this would go in so it doesn't have one!As everyone knows I love food, I love family, and I have a lot to give thanks for!So I'm sitting in my CADD class right now not doing my work, and I started thinking about Thanksgiving and what my plans are. I guess Thanksgiving is at my place this year... actually it always has been. Before every Thanksgiving we always go around our dining room table and discuss what we are thankful for, I'm sure most families do this. It always takes people a few seconds to think of something that they are thankful for, and yea, sometimes me too. I've decided that holidays are starting to bug me... but why? It makes me sad that families choose one day out of the year to get together and act happy, discussing how greatful they are for having each other... then the next day one of those family members goes to another family member talking crap about their drunken relative... hmm... so sweet isn't it? So why is it that out of 365 days we give thanks with our families once? I strongly feel that Americans don't have tradition besides the morning run to Starbucks... Has Thanksgiving become an obligation? Is it an obligation to show love and give thanks while devouring delicious food? Oh don't forget it's only once a year!Christmas... the celebration of Christs birth... first of all why don't we celebrate Christs death? We celebrate his rebirth right? I don't know if you all have heard the saying "Praise God" before, it's in the bible... you can look it up! I would apprecieate it if one person can give me a reason to exchange gifts with each other on this day? Shouldn't we be giving gifts to God? It is his birthday... instead we exchange superficial gifts that for the most part aren't God honoring, not that they are bad all of the time either. So here are my thoughts... if someday I am so blessed with a God honoring husband and children, we will give thanks everynight before dinner... not just prayer but praise! And for Christmas... I'm taking my kids to give a not so privlaged family a gift or many... isn't that much more God honoring, and even rewarding? So heres my challange for you... when your parents or gaurdians ask you what you want for Christmas, ask them for necessary items and a few toys that you can drop on the neighbors porch, or a charity, or if you just get money give it to a local church, or charity. Make this Thanksgiving and Christmas what they are supposed to be all about. God will always give you the greatest gift of all... his love... so show him some.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger Jeff said…

    Are you aware that Christmas was originally a pagan holiday that Christians decided to make into theirs, to counteract the Pagans?

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger Loved By Faith 637 said…

    I wasn't aware of that... but even if that is true my feelings still stand... now it is considered a celebration of Christs birth... and people take advantage of that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home